Dual Credit Dual Enrollment Banner1


Q: Which high schools are participating in these programs?
A: Triton College works with Des Plaines Valley Region high schools to offer over 60 different courses in 14 different programs. Participating schools are:
   • East Leyden High School
   • West Leyden High School
   • Oak Park River Forest High School
   • Elmwood Park High School
   • Guerin College Prep
   • Ridgewood High School
   • Riverside Brookfield High School
   • Proviso East
   • Proviso West
   • Proviso Math and Science Academy

Q: Is this a new program because, I haven’t heard of this before?
A: The Dual Credit programs are not new. Triton College is making an extended effort to get the word out so more students can take advantage of it, especially with college tuition and costs skyrocketing.

Q: Can a student take college classes on the Triton campus while still attending high school?
A: Absolutely! In our Dual Credit program, you take college courses at the Triton campus while still enrolled in high school. If you meet the following eligibility requirements, you’re good to go:
You must have completed your sophomore year of high school
Complete the Dual Credit Application Dual Credit Application
Take the ACCUPLACER assessment
The assessment can be waived with ACT test scores of (20) in English and Writing and a score of (23) in Math. (All students planning to enroll in the Nursing Assistant Program must earn a score of (80) in the reading portion of the placement test to qualify)
Obtain written permission from a high school administrator and a parent or guardian and meet with a College Relations Associate (CRA)

Q: If a student wants to attend a four-year college, will the credits earned through Triton’s Dual Credit program transfer to another college or university?
A: Yes indeed! Credits earned at Triton may be used toward either a Triton certificate, associate degree or a selected four-year college or University. Be sure to check with your counselor first before selecting a course.

Q: What about transferring credits?
A: Triton has transfer agreements with Illinois Articulation Initiative colleges/universities to assist students in determining what courses will transfer from Triton to these schools.

If you plan to transfer out-of-state, contact the admissions office of the college or university you are planning to attend to see if the Triton course you are taking will transfer to that institution.

Got more questions on how Triton classes may be used to fill degree and/or certificate requirements, contact your Academic Advisor. Also, check out the Program of study website.

Q: Is Triton’s Dual Credit Program the same as AP (Advanced Placement)?
A: There is a difference. AP courses allow students to take college-level courses taught by a high school teacher, with the potential for students to earn college credit and/or course placement based on the results of an AP exam. Courses for the Dual Credit Program are actual college classes taught by qualified high school instructors. They provide an opportunity to earn college credit and high school credit simultaneously without a post exam.

Q: What's the difference between Dual Credit and Dual Enrollment?

A: Dual Credit courses are college level courses that high school students may take either at Triton or their primary high school which give them both high school and college credit. Dual Enrollment courses are college courses taken on the college campus by high school students while still enrolled in high school and only give college credits.

Q: So what’s the cost for a Dual Credit student to take a college class?
A: Depending on the high school, tuition and/or book costs may be covered by the school. Make sure to contact your high school representative for their billing policies.

Q: What kind of college perks and support does a Dual Credit student get?
A: Students have access to College support services such as the Triton Library, Tutoring and Learning Center, Disability Resource Center, Academic Advising, and Triton Job Prep Center.

Q: How does a high school student know if he/she should enroll in the Dual Credit Program?
A: Ask yourself these questions: Am I interested in earning college credit early and getting a jump on my future career? Do I make decent grades? Do I have good study habits? Can I handle the challenge of a college course? If you answered ‘Yes’ to these questions, the Dual Credit Programs may be right for you. Have a talk with your parents and counselor. Are they interested in exploring different careers?

Q: What if a student is enrolled in Triton’s Dual Credit Program, but wants to attend another university after high school?
A: Qualifying classes may transfer. Check with that specific college or university. Triton has transfer agreements with Illinois Articulation Initiative colleges/universities to assist students in determining what courses will transfer from Triton to these schools.

Q: Should a student interested in Triton’s Dual Credit Program first meet with his/her high school counselor?
A: Definitely! Students should talk with their high school counselor about options and see if the dual credits earned could go toward their high school graduation requirements. The counselor (or principal) and parent/guardian MUST approve any request to enroll in the Dual Credit Program.

Q: If I am enrolled in Triton’s Dual Credit Program, when the high school is closed (e.g., spring break) will Triton classes continue?
A: Any Triton student must attend classes according to the Triton academic calendar and instructor’s syllabus. Make sure you review Triton’s dates and deadlines for when the college is closed (such as holidays, spring or winter breaks, etc.).

Q: What if a Dual Credit Program student changes his/her mind about taking classes?
A: Dual Credit students are responsible for adhering to all of Triton's dates and deadlines surrounding the academic calendar. To withdraw from classes, students must contact faculty and the Dual Credit Director for enrollment changes.

Q: How does a parent of a Dual Credit Program student find out how his/her child is doing in the dual credit class?
A: Triton Community College is required by federal law to uphold the FERPA Act, regardless of age, to keep student records confidential. Without the student's permission, Triton cannot share student records with anyone but the student (or appropriate college employees, high school employees, or dual credit instructors).

Should parents wish to view their child’s records, he/she must first complete the third party authorization online through My Triton.

Q: What advice is available to help parents assist their child with enrolling in either program?
A: Parents with a high school student enrolled in public, private or charter high school should meet with their high school counselor to review/complete Dual Credit Application and check out Triton’s Dual Credit Program website to review sample course offerings.

Parents who home-school their children and have a child with high school junior/senior status should review/complete the Dual Credit Application and review sample course offerings.

For more assistance and information, click HERE to Contact Us.

Q: May a parent of a Dual Credit program student meet with his/her child’s college professor?
A: One of the goals of the Dual Credit Program is to instill in each student the confidence to pursue a college education and be successful as an individual.

Parents are always a good resource for their children, but each student is encouraged to take responsibility and make an appointment with his/her professor to meet and discuss any concerns before they become larger issues.